Apple-Fig Honeyed Torta di Mele
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine apple slices, the 1 tablespoon sugar, the lemon juice, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the 1/2 cup sugar, the melted butter, egg yolks, and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed about 2 minutes or until thick and light yellow. Add flour, baking powder, and salt, beating just until combined. Set aside.
- Wash beaters thoroughly. In a separate medium bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Stir about one-third of the beaten egg whites into the beaten flour mixture to lighten. Fold the remaining egg whites into flour mixture. Drizzle the 1/3 cup honey over batter; fold in until combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared springform pan, spreading evenly. Top with half of the apple mixture. Spoon the remaining batter over apples, spreading to cover apples. Top the batter with the remaining apple mixture (discard any lemon juice remaining in bowl). Arrange fig slices over apples.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until evenly golden brown across top of cake. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes (center may dip slightly). Loosen sides of springform pan. Remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl stir together mascarpone cheese and the 2 tablespoons honey. Serve cake with mascarpone mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
If you can't find fresh figs, use dried Mission figs instead. In a small saucepan heat 1 cup brandy or apple juice just until simmering. Remove from heat. Add dried figs; let stand for 20 minutes. Drain well, discarding liquid. Slice figs.
Apple-Cranberry Honeyed Torta di Mele:
In a small saucepan heat 1/2 cup brandy or apple juice just until simmering. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries; let stand for 20 minutes. Drain well, discarding liquid. Prepare Apple-Fig Honeyed Torta di Mele as directed, except omit figs and sprinkle drained cranberries over apples in Step 5.
Nutrition Facts per serving Apple-Cranberry Honeyed Torta di Mele:
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Fig Honeyed Torta di Mele)
- Per serving:
- 281 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 79 mg chol. ,
- 255 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 28 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.