Apple-Double Cherry Pie
- Thaw cherries overnight in refrigerator. Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the pastry into a 12-inch circle. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry.
- In a very large bowl combine sugar, cornstarch, and cayenne. Add apples, cherries, and reserved cherry juice, gently tossing to coat. Fill pastry with fruit mixture. Trim pastry to 1 inch beyond pie plate rim. Fold pastry under even with rim.
- Roll out second half of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut pastry into squares and rectangles. Top fruit with pastry shapes so that each shape touches another one or overlaps bottom pastry edge. Use a fork to make a crisscross pattern to finish the edge, or crimp as desired. Brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar. Place a baking sheet lined with foil below pie in oven.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 375 degrees F; bake 1 hour 20 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes more or until filling is bubbly in center and pastry is golden. (If necessary, tent with foil to prevent overbrowning.) Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
If you have extra pastry pieces, place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a 450 degrees F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
- In a large bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with additional ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Double Cherry Pie)
- Per serving:
- 468 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 341 mg sodium ,
- 71 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 34 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
KristiH1965 177 Days Ago
I made this pie for Thanksgiving. Since it was a holiday, I did a different design for the top. It was a HUGE hit. Everyone had seconds! Thanks for such a great recipe!
terreziegler 170 Days Ago
I made the recipe exactly as written....however, I forgot to thaw my cherries. It baked up perfectly anyway and was the hit of the party.