Apple-Cherry and Five-Spice Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease three six-cavity donut pans (3-inch diameter by 3/4 inch deep).** In a small bowl microwave cherries and cider 1 to 2 minutes; cool.
- In a medium bowl stir together the next four ingredients (through salt). In a small bowl combine the next five ingredients (through vanilla). Stir egg mixture into cherry mixture. Add all at once to flour mixture; stir just until combined.
- Fill a heavy resealable plastic bag with batter; snip a hole in one corner. Pipe batter into prepared pans, filling each indentation three-fourths full. Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Transfer donuts to a wire rack. While still warm, toss with Five-Spice Sugar to coat.
From the Test Kitchen
In a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 2 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder.
Or use regular apple cider plus 1/4 tsp. apple pie spice.
If you don't have three pans, wash and grease your pan between batches.
When filling the plastic bag, set the empty bag inside a large measuring cup or bowl to help keep it upright, then fold down the edges to help keep it open. Spoon in the batter, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Cherry and Five-Spice Donuts)
- Per serving:
- 212 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 171 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 29 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.