Apple-Cardamom Custard Pie
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the edge of pie plate. Crimp edge high. Generously prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes more or until golden. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar. Cook and stir until sugar starts to melt and turn golden. Stir in apples. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until apples are tender and liquid is mostly evaporated, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- In a small heavy saucepan heat whipping cream and milk over medium-low heat just until bubbly. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, cardamom, and salt. Gradually stir in hot cream mixture until combined.
- Place pastry shell on oven rack. Spoon apple mixture into pastry shell. Carefully pour egg mixture over apple mixture. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Cover edge of pie loosely with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack about 1 hour to serve warm, or cool completely. Cover and chill within 2 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Not a cardamom fan? Use cinnamon instead. Love raisins? Sprinkle some on top of the apples before baking (theyll soften up in the oven). Want a salty crunch? Top the pie with 1/2 cup chopped salted pistachio nuts after baking.
Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening and butter until pieces are pea size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching it.
- Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry even with the plate's edge. Crimp edge as desired. Do not prick pastry. Fill and bake as directed in recipes.
Nutrition Facts (Pastry for a Single-Crust Pie)
- Per serving:
- 191 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- ( 5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 187 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Cardamom Custard Pie)
- Per serving:
- 460 kcal ,
- 29 g fat
- (15 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 136 mg chol. ,
- 307 mg sodium ,
- 45 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 26 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.