Apple Cake with Porter-Toffee Sauce
The day before:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 1392-inch baking pan or 13 1/2x9 1/2x3-inch disposable foil pan; set aside. In an extra-large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs, oil, and vanilla; stir in apples and nuts. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened (batter will be very thick). Pour batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Meanwhile, prepare Porter-Toffee Sauce.
- Tightly cover cake in pan and let stand at room temperature overnight. Transfer sauce to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Tote cake in pan at room temperature. Tote sauce and, if desired, whipped topping in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill. Transfer sauce to a small disposable foil pan. For a charcoal grill, reheat sauce on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals about 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place sauce on grill rack over heat. Cover and reheat as above.) Top cake with whipped topping and drizzle with warm sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
13 1/2x9 1/2x3-inch disposable foil pan (optional)
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Small disposable foil pan
- In a small saucepan combine packed brown sugar, whipping cream, porter beer, and light-color corn syrup. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Apple Cake with Porter-Toffee Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 395 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 29 mg chol. ,
- 193 mg sodium ,
- 51 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 34 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.