Apple, Bacon, and Leek Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. In an extra-large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels; crumble bacon. Drain fat, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add butter to drippings in skillet. Add mushrooms, leeks, and celery. Cook over medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Add apples and garlic. Cook and stir for 2 to 4 minutes or until apples are just softened. Stir in cream.
- In an extra-large bowl combine apple mixture, crumbled bacon, bread cubes, the 1 tablespoon sage, the thyme, and pepper. Drizzle with broth to moisten, tossing gently to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through and top is light brown. If desired, garnish with sage leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
To make dry bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cut 18 to 21 fresh bread slices into 1/2-inch cubes to yield 12 cups bread cubes. Spread cubes in two 15x10x1-inch baking pans. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice; cool. (Cubes will continue to dry and crisp as they cool.) Or let bread cubes stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
Prepare stuffing as directed through Step 2, except do not preheat oven. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap; cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F.
Nutrition Facts (Apple, Bacon, and Leek Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 268 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 34 mg chol. ,
- 507 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.