Whole Wheat Crostini with Dried Tomato Tapanade
- Add the 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, shortening, whole wheat and bread flours, brown sugar, salt, and yeast to the bread machine pan according to manufacturer's directions for a 1-pound loaf. Select dough cycle.
- When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine. Divide in half; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Grease a baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Roll each half of dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Starting at a long side, roll up rectangles jelly-roll style; pinch edges and ends closed. Place loaves, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 to 35 minutes or until nearly double.
- Using a sharp knife, make three or four slashes across the top of each loaf. Brush with water. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on wire rack.
- For Dried Tomato Tapanade, place dried tomatoes, cream cheese, pine nuts, olives, basil, garlic, and the 1/3 cup water in a food processor bowl; process until almost smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Transfer to covered container. Cover and chill up to 1 week. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
- Cut each loaf of bread into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place in a single layer on baking sheets. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread each slice with about 1 teaspoon Dried Tomato Tapanade. Makes about 56 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 week ahead, prepare the tapanade. Before serving, let tapanade stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Prepare and cool bread; wrap in foil and place in airtight container or plastic freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 week. Thaw 1 hour at room temperature before slicing.
Nutrition Facts (Whole Wheat Crostini with Dried Tomato Tapanade)
- Per serving:
- 39 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 mg chol. ,
- 38 mg sodium ,
- 5 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.