Upside-Down Marinated Shrimp Bowl
- In a large kettle bring 5 quarts water and 1 teaspoon salt to boiling. Add the shrimp. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Drain shrimp. Rinse under cold running water; drain again.
- To arrange shrimp, use a glass bowl that is 7 to 8 inches in diameter and about 4 inches deep. Arrange the shrimp, pointing the tails to the middle, in a circle to make 1 flat layer. (Only the round backs of shrimp should be visible from the outside of the bowl.) Repeat layers until bowl is filled, pressing down every couple of layers with bottom of a plate that will fit into bowl. When bowl is full, press down with plate one more time.
- For marinade, in a screw-top jar combine the olive oil, wine vinegar, lemon peel, lemon juice, tomato paste, honey, garlic, ginger, salt, and ground red pepper. Cover and shake well. Pour marinade over shrimp in bowl. Cover and chill overnight, occasionally placing a larger flat plate tightly over the bowl and inverting to redistribute marinade.
- Before serving, hold the plate off-center and invert bowl slightly to drain off marinade. Repeat inverting and draining until all marinade is drained. Discard marinade. Place serving platter over bowl; carefully invert bowl to unmold.
- If desired, arrange greens, herbs, lime wedges, cucumber, red onion, and tomatoes around shrimp. Makes about 20 appetizer servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 1 day before, prepare and marinate shrimp bowl. Just before serving, drain marinade and invert shrimp onto serving plate.