Spinach-Filled Red Pepper Pastry Swirls
- Line two baking sheets with foil; grease foil. Set aside.
- For pastry, combine water and butter in a medium saucepan. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add the 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well with wooden spoon after each addition until smooth. Stir in Parmesan cheese and roasted peppers.
- Meanwhile, for filling, place spinach in a colander. Press the back of a wooden spoon against the spinach to force out any excess water. In a medium bowl stir together spinach, semisoft cheese, and the beaten egg.
- Drop filling by level measuring teaspoons into mounds 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Place pastry dough in a pastry bag fitted with a 3/8-inch star tip. Pipe dough in circles around filling mounds, leaving filling uncovered in center.
- Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately. Makes 40 to 45 appetizers.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake swirls as directed above. Remove from baking sheets, and cool on wire racks. Place in freezer containers and freeze up to 1 month. To reheat, place frozen swirls on greased baking sheets. Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Spinach-Filled Red Pepper Pastry Swirls)
- Per serving:
- 47 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 26 mg chol. ,
- 59 mg sodium ,
- 2 g carb. ,
- 2 g pro.