Smoky Shortbread Rounds
- Let cheese and butter stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine cheese, butter, flour, salt, and cayenne pepper. Cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add almonds; process just until mixture begins to cling together. Form into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Roll dough between two sheets of waxed paper to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 1 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds from dough. Place rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- Top each shortbread round with Roasted Garlic and Sweet Onion Jam (refrigerate remaining jam and save for another use). Makes about 30 appetizers.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake shortbread rounds as directed. Cover and store in an airtight container up to 1 week before serving.
Roasted Garlic and Sweet Onion Jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice about 1/4 inch off the pointed end of garlic bulb so the individual cloves show. Place the bulb in a small baking dish, cut side up. Drizzle with olive oil. Cover and roast for 45 to 60 minutes or until garlic cloves have softened; cool. Gently squeeze the garlic cloves and juices into saucepan. Stir in sweet onion, apple, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer about 30 minutes or until onion and apple have softened and the mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Smoky Shortbread Rounds)
- Per serving:
- 42 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 60 mg sodium ,
- 4 g carb. ,
- 1 g pro.