Serrano Ham and Grilled Tomato Toasts
- On an 8- to 10-inch skewer*, thread tomatoes, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces. On another 8- to 10-inch skewer*, thread red onion wedges, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces. Brush tomatoes and onion with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Sprinkle with the 1/4 teaspoon salt and the 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- For a charcoal grill, place onion and tomato skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill onion for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Grill tomatoes about 5 minutes or just until skins start to char, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Toast bread slices on the grill. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place onion and tomato skewers, then bread slices on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Finely chop tomatoes and onion. Transfer vegetables to a bowl. If desired, season to taste with additional salt and pepper
- Rub one side of each toasted bread slice with garlic; brush slices with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Generously spread tomato mixture over bread slices. Top with ham and sprinkle with parsley and chives. Makes 8 appetizer servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
Nutrition Facts (Serrano Ham and Grilled Tomato Toasts)
- Per serving:
- 165 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 422 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.