- If using Homemade Tortilla Chips, prepare and bake the chips.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Arrange tortilla chips in a single layer on an 11- or 12-inch ovenproof platter, overlapping them slightly.
- In a small saucepan, combine black beans and 1/2 cup salsa. Cook and stir over medium heat just until heated through. Spoon bean mixture over chips. Sprinkle with cheese, roasted red pepper, and jalapeno pepper.
- Bake for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve nachos with desired toppings. Makes 12 servings.
Homemade Tortilla Chips:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stack six 7- to 8-inch corn or flour tortillas. Using scissors or a sharp knife, cut tortilla stack into wedges. Place wedges in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and bake the homemade chips as directed; cool. Place in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw the chips, covered, at room temperature.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with fresh chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Macho Nachos)
- Per serving:
- 148 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 20 mg chol. ,
- 220 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 9 g pro.