Grilled Mussels with Garlic Butter
- Scrub mussels in shells under cold running water. If present, remove beards. In an 8-quart Dutch oven combine 4 quarts cold water and 1/3 cup salt; add mussels. Soak for 15 minutes; drain and rinse. Discard water. Repeat soaking, draining, and rinsing twice.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add wine; bring just to a simmer. Remove from heat; stir in parsley.
- Tear off a 36x18-inch piece of heavy foil; fold foil in half to make an 18-inch square. Place the mussels in the center of the foil. Bring up opposite edges of foil and seal with a double fold. Fold remaining edges together to completely enclose mussels, leaving space for steam to build.
- Place foil packet on the grill rack directly over medium-high heat; grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until shells open. Transfer mussels (discard any that do not open) and any liquid to a serving bowl.
- Transfer the sauce to small bowls for dipping. Serve mussels with sauce and, if desired, bread. Makes 4 appetizer servings.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
You can store live mussels in the refrigerator, covered with a moist cloth, for up to 3 days. Before you cook them, tap any open shells. If the mussels are alive, the shells will close. Discard any that arent alive.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Mussels with Garlic Butter)
- Per serving:
- 191 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 56 mg chol. ,
- 272 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 7 g pro.