Double Tomato Spread
- Place the roma tomatoes on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat about 4 minutes or until skin is blistered, turning once. Cool slightly and coarsely chop.
- In a small bowl pour the boiling water over dried tomatoes. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook and stir about 2 minutes or until golden brown. Add ginger and garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- Carefully add the Roma tomatoes and undrained dried tomatoes. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture thickens and most of the liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Transfer to a serving dish; cool. Serve the spread with toasted baguette slices or crackers. Makes 48 (1-tablespoon) servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare spread as directed. Cover and chill for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Double Tomato Spread)
- Per serving:
- 52 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 119 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.