- In a small saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot margarine or butter over medium heat for 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- In a small bowl whisk chicken broth or coconut milk into flour and curry paste. Stir into the onion mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Reserve 2/3 cup of the sauce to serve with the burritos.
- In a medium bowl combine cooked rice's and peanuts. Stir remaining sauce into the rice mixture. Set aside.
- Carefully dip each rice paper quickly in water and place between paper towels or clean cotton dish towels. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook the carrot, pea pod strips, and squash in a small amount of boiling water, covered, about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- To assemble each burrito, remove 1 rice paper from between the towels. Place 2 tablespoons cooked vegetable mixture on rice paper about 1 inch from the edge. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the rice mixture next to the vegetables, still leaving 1 inch of space at the edge of the rice paper. Fold two sides of rice paper over vegetables and the rice mixture. Roll up from the bottom to encase filling.
- Spray a steamer rack with nonstick coating. In a large deep skillet bring 1/2 inch of water to boiling. Place rolls on rack. Place rack in skillet. Cover and steam for 5 minutes. To serve cut each roll in half diagonally and serve on bed of thinly slivered pea pods, if desired. Serve with reserved curry sauce, and if desired, yogurt and/or chutney. Makes 8 appetizer or side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, prepare the burritos up to 8 hours before serving. Place on a plate sprayed with nonstick spray coating; cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving and following the steaming directions above.
If desired, substitute 3/4 cup cooked long-grain rice for the purple Thai rice. If using two colors of rice, cook each separately or the colored rice will tint the long-grain white rice.
To make 3/4 cup cooked purple or long-grain white rice, bring 1 cup of water to a boil and slowly add 1/3 cup of uncooked rice. Return to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Rice should be barely simmering.
For white rice, simmer, covered, about 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
For purple rice, simmer, covered, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Curry Burritos)
- Per serving:
- 164 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 260 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.