Caramelized Onion and Gorgonzola Pizza
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion slices and cook over low heat, cover 5 to 10 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle onions with sugar, if desired. Cool, uncovered 15 minutes or until golden and caramelized, stirring occasionally to cook evenly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread caramelized onions evenly over an unbaked 12-inch pizza crust. Sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese and macadamia nuts. Bake as directed or until heated through and nuts are toasted. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Homemade Pizza Crust:
- Combine 2/3 cup bread flour or all-purpose flour, 1/2 package active dry yeast, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add 2/3 cup warm water (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Stir in 2/3 cup more flour. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in additional flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (45 to 60 minutes). Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Roll into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface, building up edges slightly. Transfer to greased baking sheet. Arrange desired toppings on top. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Makes one 12-inch pizza, 6 to 8 servings.
Frozen Bread Dough Crust:
- Use 1 pound frozen whole wheat or white bread dough, thawed. Place on a lightly floured surface and let rest 10 minutes. Roll out and proceed as directed in Homemade Pizza Crust.
Italian Bread Shell Crust:
- Use one 16-ounce (12-inch) purchased Italian bread shell (such as Boboli). Place on a greased baking sheet and arrange toppings on top. Bake in a 400 degrees degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown and toppings are hot.
From the Test Kitchen
Make it a meal with mixed greens salad and poached pears or apples.
Nutrition Facts (Caramelized Onion and Gorgonzola Pizza)
- Per serving:
- 540 kcal ,
- 35 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 41 mg chol. ,
- 776 mg sodium ,
- 45 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 17 g pro.