Beef and Olive Empanaditas
- For filling, in a large skillet, cook beef, onion, and garlic until beef is brown. Drain off fat. Stir in cumin and red pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in olives, tomato sauce, and raisins. Set aside.
- Place 1 rounded teaspoon of the filling in the center of each dough round. Moisten edge with water; fold in half, sealing edge with tines of a fork. Prick dough several times. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Stir together the egg and water; brush onto empanaditas. Bake in a 425F oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Makes 36 empanaditas.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed except do not bake. Place empanaditas in a single layer on a baking sheet; freeze until firm. Transfer to a freezer container. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, line a baking sheet with foil; coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place frozen empanaditas on prepared baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, in a 350F oven about 30 minutes or until golden.
- For pastry, in a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal. Add milk and beaten egg; stir until mixed.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 10 to 12 strokes. Divide dough in half. Roll one portion of the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 3-inch rounds; re-roll scraps and cut enough additional rounds to make 18 total. Repeat with the remaining dough portion.
Nutrition Facts (Beef and Olive Empanaditas)
- Per serving:
- 91 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 73 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g pro.