Baked Brie with Caramelized Onions and Hazelnuts and variations
- For caramelized onions, in a small covered saucepan, cook onion in hot butter over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place Brie on an ovenproof plate or baking sheet. Spread the apricot preserves on top. Top with the caramelized onion and sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is softened. If baked on baking sheet, carefully transfer warm Brie from baking sheet to a serving platter. Serve with French bread slices and/or sliced fruit. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Baked Brie with Onions and Olives:
Prepare caramelized onions as directed in Step 1. Remove from heat. Stir in 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives, 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pitted green olives, and 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh oregano. In Step 2, substitute mango chutney for the apricot preserves and 1 tablespoon lightly toasted pine nuts for the hazelnuts. Bake as directed. If desired, serve with French bread slices or assorted crackers.
Prepare caramelized onions as directed in Step 1. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bake Brie as directed. For the Cranberry-Onion Chutney, prepare as directed above. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. Allow to stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. If necessary, micro-cook cranberry mixture in a microwave-safe container, covered, on 100% power (high) about 30 seconds or until the cranberry mixture is just warm. Serve as directed over warm plain Brie.
Baked Brie with Cranberry-Onion Chutney and Pistachios:
Prepare caramelized onions as directed in Step 1, except for Cranberry-Onion Chutney, after cooking the onions for only 5 minutes, stir in 2/3 cup fresh cranberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon pepper jelly, 1 tablespoon water, and 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until cranberries have popped and mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally. Set chutney mixture aside. Place Brie on the ovenproof plate. Omit the preserves and hazelnuts in Step 2. Bake the plain Brie as directed in Step 3. Top the warm Brie with the chutney and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts. Serve with French bread slices.
Nutrition Facts (Baked Brie with Caramelized Onions and Hazelnuts and variations)
- Per serving:
- 254 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 355 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 12 g pro.