Almond Tres Leches Cake with Strawberry-Mango Salsa
- Place 1/2 cup of the almonds in a food processor. Cover and process until finely ground. In an extra-large bowl stir together ground almonds, flour, orange zest, baking powder, and salt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-qt. rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Separate eggs. In a large bowl beat egg yolks and 2/3 cup granulated sugar with a mixer on high 3 minutes or until yolks are thick and lemon color. Add whole milk and 1 1/2 tsp. of the vanilla; beat 1 minute more. Fold yolk mixture into flour mixture.
- Thoroughly wash beaters and large bowl. In bowl beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold beaten egg whites into flour mixture just until combined. Spread batter in prepared baking dish. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine 1/2 cup of the cream, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk. Bring just to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced to 3 cups, stirring constantly.
- Pierce cake all over with a skewer. Gradually pour half of the evaporated milk mixture over cake, covering completely. Wait 1 minute; repeat with remaining evaporated milk mixture. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- In a medium bowl beat 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar and remaining 1 1/2 cups cream and 1/2 tsp. vanilla on medium to high until stiff peaks form. Spread cake with whipped cream. Top with Strawberry-Mango Salsa and remaining 1/4 cup almonds.
From the Test Kitchen
Coffee Tres Leches Cake
Prepare as directed, except stir 1 tsp. instant coffee crystals into evaporated milk mixture. Omit Strawberry-Mango Salsa. To serve, top cake with remaining 1/4 cup almonds and chocolate curls.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 354 calories, 8 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate, 19 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 107 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 32 g total sugar, 13% Vitamin A, 3% Vitamin C, 170 mg sodium, 21% calcium, 6% iron
Cover and store any leftover cake in refrigerator up to 3 days.
- In a medium bowl stir together chopped mango, chopped strawberries, orange juice, honey, and finely chopped fresh mint. Cover and chill for 1 to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Almond Tres Leches Cake with Strawberry-Mango Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 361 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 107 mg chol. ,
- 171 mg sodium ,
- 41 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 36 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.