Almond Sugar Cookie Snowflakes
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla, and almond extract until combined. Beat in ground almonds. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough at a time until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using 2 1/2-inch cookie cutters, cut dough into desired shapes. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. Spread cookies with Almond Cream Cheese Frosting and decorate with nonpareils and/or colored sugars.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer unfrosted cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Frost and decorate as directed.
Prepare dough as directed using a round cookie cutter. Bake and cool as directed. To decorate, pipe or spread glaze-consistency Royal Icing onto cookies. Arrange whole almonds, blanched slivered almonds, and pine nuts in desired snowflake designs.
Prepare dough as directed using two different sizes of hexagon-shape cookie cutters to cut out equal numbers of shapes. Bake and cool as directed. To decorate, spread or pipe with glaze-consistency white icing. Let stand until dry. Pipe thicker-consistency Royal Icing in desired snowflake designs on the cookies. Attach a big and small cookie together with icing to create a stack.
White Chocolate Snowflakes:
Prepare dough as directed using a snowflake-shape cookie cutter. Bake and cool as directed. To decorate, spread or pipe with Royal Icing. Immediately press white chocolate curls into wet icing (see how-to photo, page xx). Sprinkle with white chocolate shavings and edible pink pearl sprinkles.
Nutrition Facts (Almond Sugar Cookie Snowflakes)
- Per serving:
- 183 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 99 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 20 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.