Almond Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Ring
- In a large bowl stir together the water, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of the all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour, egg, oil, and salt.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough of the remaining all-purpose flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Lightly coat a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl; turn to coat surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Roll the dough into a 17x12-inch rectangle. Brush dough with melted butter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle the dough with all but 2 tablespoons of the sliced almonds.
- Starting with a long side, roll up dough into a spiral; pinch seam to seal. (This will make a spiral that is about 20 inches long.) Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Form a ring out of the dough spiral, sealing the ends together. Place the ring, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Using kitchen scissors, cut from the edge toward the center at about 1 1/2-inch intervals, cutting about two-thirds of the way through the dough spiral. Turn each dough section slightly to one side.
- Cover the ring and chill in the refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours. (If baking right away, cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 45 minutes.)
- If ring was chilled, let stand at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes before baking. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Carefully transfer ring to a serving platter. Drizzle with Cream Cheese Icing. Sprinkle with reserved 2 tablespoons almonds.
From the Test Kitchen
Almond Caramel Cinnamon Rolls:
Prepare dough as directed through Step 2. Meanwhile, prepare caramel sauce. In a small bowl stir together 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 2 tablespoons hot water. Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Spread caramel sauce evenly in the prepared dish. Prepare dough as directed in Step 3, brushing with butter, sprinkling with sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkling all of the almonds over the dough rectangle. Starting with a long side, tightly roll up dough into a spiral; pinch seam to seal. Cut spiral crosswise into 15 even slices. Arrange slices over caramel sauce in baking dish. Continue as directed in Step 5. If rolls were chilled, let stand at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in baking dish on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter; remove baking dish. Omit the Cream Cheese Icing. Makes 15 rolls.
Per Roll: Same as above except 198 calories, 31 g carbohydrate, 7 g total fat, 20 g cholesterol, 12 g sugar
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a medium mixing bowl combine cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed and smooth. If necessary, beat in enough additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make icing of drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Almond Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Ring)
- Per serving:
- 197 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 172 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.