Albondigas de Pescado
- Thaw fish and shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse fish and shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish into 1-inch pieces. Coarsely chop shrimp. In a food processor combine fish and shrimp. Cover and process just until mixture forms a paste. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in masa harina, green onions, the fresh jalapeno, the 6 cloves minced garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll chilled mixture into 30 balls, each about 1 inch in diameter. Using your thumb, make an indention in the center of each ball. Set balls aside.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a 12-inch skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and the 2 cloves minced garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add tomatoes, stock or broth, pickled jalapenos, green olives, capers, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Arrange fish balls in a single layer in the sauce. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes (do not lift the lid while fish balls simmer).
- Serve fish balls and sauce in shallow bowls. Sprinkle with parsley.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Albondigas de Pescado )
- Per serving:
- 253 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 73 mg chol. ,
- 861 mg sodium ,
- 33 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 18 g pro.