Adam Perry Lang's Butter-Basted Strip Steak
- Let steaks stand at room temperature for 1 hour. For butter baste, in a small saucepan simmer butter and crushed garlic over medium heat 2 to 4 minutes. Let stand for 1 hour. Remove 2 tablespoons of the garlic butter; set aside.
- To season steaks, combine garlic salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Moisten hands with water and work seasoning into both sides of the meat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- For a basting brush, tie rosemary to the handle of a wooden spoon. Brush some of the butter baste on steaks. Grill steaks directly over hot coals for 8 minutes. Turn steaks; baste every 2 minutes. Stand steaks on edge, fat edges down, leaning against one another. Grill for 1 minute. Turn. Grill until steaks reach internal temperature of 145 degrees F. Transfer steaks to a cutting board. With a fresh basting brush, baste steaks with reserved garlic butter. Let stand 5 minutes.
From the Test Kitchen
The herb brush flavors the baste and releases oils into the crust as it builds.
Chef Lang suggests using natural lump charcoal. He suggests fanning or blowing excess ash from the coals.
Chef Lang prefer to cook to a lower temperature, 110 degrees F to 115 degrees F.
Serve with grilled cherry tomatoes and onion wedges.
Nutrition Facts (Adam Perry Lang's Butter-Basted Strip Steak)
- Per serving:
- 756 kcal ,
- 57 g fat
- (25 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 20 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 257 mg chol. ,
- 973 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 60 g pro.