4 Ways with Skillet Corn Bread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the 1 tablespoon butter and the 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch cast-iron or other heavy oven-going skillet. Heat in oven for 5 minutes; do not heat longer or mixture may burn.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside. In a small bowl combine eggs, milk, and the 1/4 cup oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Pour batter into the prepared skillet, spreading evenly. Return skillet to oven. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, if desired, prepare honey butter: In a medium mixing bowl beat the 1/2 cup softened butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add honey; beat on high speed about 1 minute or until fluffy.
- To serve, cut hot corn bread into wedges. If using, serve with honey butter.
From the Test Kitchen
Bacon-Green Onion Corn Bread:
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/2 cup crumbled, crisp-cooked bacon and 1/3 cup sliced green onions into batter. If desired, sprinkle with additional sliced green onions before serving.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 299 calories, 8 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 16 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 5 g total sugar, 4% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 513 mg sodium, 15% calcium, 8% iron
Sweet Corn and Herb Corn Bread:
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (cut from 1 ear) or thawed, frozen whole kernel corn; 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley; 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives; and 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme into batter.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 264 calories, 6 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 12 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 6 g total sugar, 6% Vitamin A, 4% Vitamin C, 377 mg sodium, 15% calcium, 8% iron
Cheesy Chipotle Corn Bread:
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 ounces) and 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped, into batter.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 285 calories, 7 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 5 g total sugar, 5% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 438 mg sodium, 20% calcium, 8% iron
Cranberry-Tangerine Corn Bread:
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/2 cup dried cranberries and 1 teaspoon finely shredded tangerine or orange peel into batter.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 278 calories, 5 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 12 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 10 g total sugar, 3% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 375 mg sodium, 15% calcium, 8% iron
Nutrition Facts (4 Ways with Skillet Corn Bread)
- Per serving:
- 255 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 53 mg chol. ,
- 375 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.