4 Step Latkes
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, garlic, and salt; set aside. Peel potatoes. With a box grater, finely shred potatoes. Add potatoes to egg mixture in bowl. Using 1/3 cup mixture for each latke, squeeze mixture over a separate small bowl to remove excess liquid and shape mixture into 2 1/2-inch patties. (You will have about 1 cup excess liquid; discard liquid).
- In a 12-inch skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Place patties on skillet. Cook for 4 minutes or until latkes are golden brown, turning once (if necessary, reduce heat to medium to prevent overbrowning).
- Drain on paper towels. Serve topped with creme fraiche or sour cream and dillweed, if desired, or serve with applesauce.
From the Test Kitchen
Sweet Potato Currant Latkes:
In a small mixing bowl pour 1 cup boiling water over 1/4 cup dried currants; let stand 5 minutes, then drain. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 eggs, lightly beaten, 1/3 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, drained currants, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; set aside. Peel and finely shred 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (you should have about 3 cups). Stir shredded potatoes into egg mixture. Shape and cook as above. Makes 8 latkes.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 164 calories, 4 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 8 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 21 g carbohydrate, 47 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 7 g total sugar, 243% Vitamin A, 4% Vitamin C, 101 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 6% iron
Peel and finely shred 3 medium beets and 2 medium carrots. Rinse beets under cold running water and drain well, squeezing out excess water. In a large mixing bowl combine the beets, carrots, 3 eggs, lightly beaten, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Heat the oil in skillet as directed, then spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup beet mixture into hot skillet; flatten into a 2 1/2-inch patty. Cook for 2 minutes per side until golden. Makes 7 latkes.
Nutrition analysis per serving; 87 calories, 3 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 61% Vitamin A, 5% Vitamin C, 153 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 4% iron
Prepare as above, except combine 2 eggs, lightly beaten, 2 cloves garlic, minced, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the large bowl. Add the shredded potatoes and 1 1/2 cups finely shredded, peeled horseradish root (about 3 1/2 ounces) to the potato mixture before shaping. Shape and cook as above. Makes 9 latkes.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 109 calories, 3 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 1g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 1% Vitamin A, 46% Vitamin C, 151 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 6% iron
Nutrition Facts (4 Step Latkes)
- Per serving:
- 131 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 223 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.