The 15 Best Space Heaters for Warming Every Room in Your Home, According to Reviews
No matter how high you set the thermostat in the winter, it can sometimes feel like your home is never warm enough. Instead of relying on heated socks and layers of clothing to get you through the cold weather, invest in a space heater. These small appliances are a convenient way to make any room feel toasty.
Because there are so many types of space heaters online, it can be hard to figure out which ones are reliable and worth the money. We dug through thousands of reviews to find the best space heaters for your home, and they're all available to buy from major retailers like Amazon, Walmart, and Bed Bath & Beyond.
The 15 Best Space Heaters in 2021
- Best Overall: Lasko Ceramic Space Heater
- Best Value: Honeywell 360 Degree Surround Heater
- Best Oil-Filled: De'Longhi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater
- Best for Large Rooms: Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
- Best for Small Rooms: Vornado AVH10 Vortex Heater
- Best Wi-Fi Option: Atomi Smart Portable Tabletop Space Heater
- Best Portable: Lasko Ceramic Portable Space Heater
- Best Safety Features: Honeywell Motion Sensor Ceramic Convection Heater
- Best for Quick Heat: Pelonis Fast-Heating Programmable Tower Heater
- Best Wall-Mounted: Heat Storm Wall-Mounted Infrared Heater
- Best Decorative: Lasko Designer Series Ceramic Space Heater
- Best Panel: De'Longhi Mica Thermic Panel Heater
- Best Splurge: Dyson Pure Hot + Cool
- Best for Offices: AmazonBasics 500-Watt Ceramic Personal Mini Heater
- Best Gas: Mr. Heater Buddy Portable Propane Radiant Heater
What to Look for in a Space Heater
There are a few different factors to consider when buying a new space heater. Most importantly, you'll want to look for models equipped with safety features. (We especially like this one from Honeywell.) Units with a tip-over shut-off feature are ideal, especially if you have small children or pets in your home.
Ceramic is the most common type of space heater (which means electricity heats up the ceramic), but you can also find oil, infrared, and propane-powered heaters on the market. Infrared heaters, like this one from Dr Infrared Heater, are effective because they warm up objects and people instead of the air in a room. And though oil-filled heaters sound like they'd be high-maintenance, this radiator from De'Longhi never needs to be refilled.
Other factors to look for include intuitive buttons or remote controls, long cord lengths (since you should never plug space heaters into an extension cord), and carrying handles so that you can move the appliance around without burning yourself.
No matter which type of space heater you're in the market for, there's bound to be a product on this list that meets your needs. One of the best-rated options on Amazon is the standard ceramic space heater from Lasko, but there are also wall-mounted heaters for those with limited floor space and stylish heaters that look like decor for design-conscious buyers.