How to Build a Doghouse
Considering building a doghouse in your backyard? Even a small pet shelter offers protection from hot summer sun and inclement weather. It also provides your pet with a comfortable place of his own to nap, lounge, and enjoy the great outdoors. A do-it-yourself doghouse doesn't have to cost a ton of money, either. You can design a doghouse from leftover building supplies or salvage materials. Make a one-of-a-kind retreat for your pet with a creative design, or choose one that coordinates with your home's exterior. Give Fido his own backyard retreat with a personalized, made-from-scratch doghouse design like this one. Our DIY doghouse is made from an abundance of scrap materials that were left over from a backyard makeover project.This adorable doghouse design by Lee Sie requires simple materials and a little DIY know-how, but you and your pet will love it. The canine cottage smartly includes a removable roof for easy cleaning.
If you want to build a doghouse but don't know where to begin, you're in luck. Download our free plan below to get started on this project.
What You'll Need
- Five 2x3 boards, 96 inches in length (base, floor, and deck)
- Eleven 1x1 boards (framing and porch overhang posts)
- Two 8x10-inch picture frames (windows)
- Eight asphalt roofing shingles
- One 27x32x1/4-inch sheet plywood (flooring)
- Two 18x32-1/2x1/4-inch sheet plywood (roofing)
- One 4x4-foot sheet plywood or scrap pieces of siding (exterior walls)
- 1- and 1-1/2-inch decking screws
- 1-inch roofing nails
Once your dog house is move-in ready, don't forget the accessories! Choose all-weather bedding and fun, colorful dishes and containers for water, food, and treats. Here, chalkboard paint applied to a dog dish lends character to the scene.