The irregular size of the bricks add to the charm of this project, but also make fitting everything together more of a challenge. Just follow these steps:
1. Lay out the path. Use PVC pipe to form the pattern for the pathway. Orange marking paint indicates the path width.
2. Dig the base. Figure depth by taking the bricks' thickness plus 4 inches for the sand base.
3. Add sand. Once the path is cleared, shovel in about 4 inches of builder's granite sand for the base.
4. Tamp and level. Next, tamp the sand to create a firm, even underlayment for the bricks. Use a level for accuracy.
5. Set bricks. Chip excess old morter from the old bricks before placing them. Set the border bricks in cement.
6. Fill cracks with sand. Once the bricks are laid, fill crevices between bricks with sand and then brush away excess.