What You Need:
- Cedar lumber (or other rot resistant wood) in 2x2, 2x4, 2x6, and 1x2 lattice
- Galvanized or stainless steel fasteners
- Stain or other finish
1. Develop your plans. Our plan is for illustration only. Customize the dimensions to suit your needs. Be sure to have your plans reviewed by your local building department to ensure that they meet all local codes.
2. Set posts. Set the 4x4 posts in concrete below the frost line. Trim tops to 7-foot-6-inch height.
3. Add stringers and brace. Trim the ends of the 2x6 stringers and attach to the posts at top and bottom. Nail 1x2 cleats to 4x4s to serve as nailing supports for 2x4 stringers placed 5-1/2 inches below 2x6s. Miter ends of 2x6 brace and attach to posts.
4. Attach rafters. Cut and add rafters at spacing desired. The closer the spacing, the denser the shade.