uShip: Reviews, Cost, and Shipping Services (2021)
Often, uShip reviews praise the company's ease of use, mobile tracking features, and variety of available motor carriers, but is the auto marketplace the best option for your next car shipment?
Read on to learn more about the company, including uShip reviews, costs, services, and industry ratings. We'll also recommend a few other top-rated auto transporters to consider.
We researched and ranked the best car shipping companies in the industry based on reputation, costs, services, and customer experience. Based on these criteria, we named uShip the Best Auto Transport Marketplace.
Established in 2003 and headquartered in Austin, Texas, uShip is not a carrier, nor is it an auto transport broker. Instead, the company is an online marketplace that connects car shipping customers with potential carriers based on their needs. Carriers bid on a shipment, and the customer ultimately chooses the company they'd like to use.
Here are a few ways uShip stands out from its competitors:
- Shipping network: Because uShip works with about 788,000 carriers globally, the company makes it easier to ship cars nationwide and internationally.
- Flexibility: You have the option to list your shipment and have independent carriers bid for your business, which can greatly reduce your costs and research time.
- "Ship with Confidence" guarantee: If your shipment is damaged or lost, the company will compensate you up to $500.
- Shipping options: Beyond auto shipping, uShip facilitates shipping for household items, heavy equipment, freight loads, animals, recreational vehicles (RVs), and more.
uShip Car Shipping Cost
Though competition between motor carriers should drive car shipping costs down for uShip customers, instant uShip quotes are slightly higher than quotes from other auto transport companies. Quotes where trucking companies bid on shipments, however, tend to be lower. Many uShip reviews mention customer satisfaction with low shipping rates.
Pricing from uShip includes the shipment itself as well as the cost of add-on insurance (which is optional) and a uShip service fee. Based on the car shipping quotes we received, these additional fees added between $60 and $170 to the final uShip cost.
Here are a few examples of shipping prices we received from uShip for an operable 2018 Honda CR-V using door-to-door, open transport delivery service:
- 520 miles: $924 (includes $67.25 insurance and $59.78 service fee)
- 1,489 miles: $1,428 (includes $67.25 insurance and $94.95 service fee)
- 2,445 miles: $2,064 (includes $67.25 insurance and $100 service fee)
Keep in mind that we received these prices using the instant quote option rather than by submitting jobs for bids on the uShip website or uShip app.
What Affects the Cost of Auto Shipping?
Along with whether you list your shipment for bidding or go with uShip's instant quote, there are a few key factors that affect the cost of auto transport, including:
- Distance: Cross-country shipments will have better rates per mile than shipments traveling a few hundred miles, but they'll cost more in total.
- Transport type: Enclosed auto shipments are more expensive than open shipments. It's also more expensive to have your vehicle delivered to your door rather than to a designated terminal.
- Shipping seasonality: It is more expensive to ship vehicles during the summer and in January due to a high frequency of moves.
- Carrier competition: The higher the competition between carrier bids, the lower the auto shipping costs.
- Vehicle operability: It is more costly to ship an inoperable vehicle than an operable one, because it takes more resources to load non-working cars.
uShip Auto Shipping Services
Unlike other shipping companies, uShip acts as an online marketplace for motor carriers to connect and bid on customers' shipping jobs. Customers list their vehicles, choose from a wide selection of bidding companies, and coordinate the delivery and payment using contact information provided through uShip.
Here are the shipping services uShip provides:
- Open transport: A cheap car shipping option, though your vehicle is exposed to the elements
- Enclosed transport: More expensive, but protects your vehicle from any inclement weather or road debris
- Home delivery: Your vehicle shipped as close to your home as possible
- Terminal-to-terminal auto transport: Your vehicle is dropped off and shipped to specific terminals rather than a home or business
- Car hauling: Your car is transported with other vehicles to decrease overall shipping costs
- Single-car vehicle shipping: Private car shipping in an open or enclosed trailer
- Expedited car shipping: Shipping usually begins 24 to 48 hours after an order is placed
Although uShip works with many carriers, it doesn't vet them thoroughly. Any company can make a free profile, and uShip recommends—but does not require—that carriers add their Department of Transportation certification numbers and insurance registration to appeal to more customers. In short, no company listed on uShip has been vetted before it ships your car, a fact that is mentioned in some uShip reviews from customers.
- Complimentary vehicle tracking
- Reduced research time and potential savings by listing your shipment on the marketplace
- "Ship with Confidence" guarantee
- Military moving discounts
- No carrier or broker vetting process
- Instant quotes may be more expensive than quotes from a traditional auto shipping company
- Low mobile app ratings for iPhone and Android
How Does uShip Auto Shipping Work?
During the listing process, you will need to provide your location, vehicle make and model, and vehicle operation status before connecting with carriers. From there, uShip provides two ways to receive quotes: instant and bidding.
Instant quotes: You submit the information above and uShip provides quotes from highly rated service providers within your specified time frame and location.
Bidding quotes: You can list a shipment on the uShip marketplace and allow carriers to bid on it. The higher competition drives costs down, but you're largely responsible for negotiating the deal.
Cancellations and subsequent fees are not handled directly by uShip, but you may be subject to them based on the carrier you choose. A number of uShip reviews mention cancellation fees, so be sure to check with any potential carriers before agreeing to their service.
Related: How to Ship a Car in 2021
Does uShip Provide Vehicle Shipping Insurance?
Based on requirements from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, all motor carriers must have liability insurance. However, as mentioned, uShip does not mandate transporters to prove they carry this insurance and recommends customers check with companies independently.
It's also a good idea to see if your chosen carrier provides cargo insurance. If your vehicle is damaged during shipping, this coverage should protect you. With uShip, you can get cargo insurance through a third-party company, which is available as an add-on purchase during checkout. You can check with your own insurance company as well to see if your policy currently covers auto transport.
For the most part, uShip reviews are positive—many customers like the company's easy-to-use online platform, mobile app tracking service, and ongoing communication throughout the shipping process. Common customer complaints address the carriers uShip provided, rather than uShip itself.
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives uShip accreditation and an A+ rating, meaning the company has a proven track record of resolving customer issues in a timely manner and using good business ethics. The BBB customer reviews are also positive—uShip currently holds a 4.58 out of 5-star rating, and on Trustpilot, uShip has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
To give you a better idea of the company's customer experience, we detailed positive and negative uShip reviews from previous customers.
Positive uShip Reviews
Negative uShip Reviews
Final Thoughts on uShip: 4.0 Stars
We designate uShip the Best Auto Transport Marketplace and give it 4.0 out of 5.0 stars. The company is ideal for customers looking to cut down on their research time, choose from many auto transporters, and have access to real-time car shipment tracking.
However, we are concerned with the lack of carrier vetting and the high-cost instant quotes some customers report in uShip reviews. Overall, uShip is best for drivers looking to own their car shipping process.
- Reputation: 4.0
- Cost: 4.0
- Services: 5.0
- Customer Experience: 3.5
- Overall Rating: 4.0
Top Recommendations for Car Shipping
If you're looking to compare uShip to other transportation service providers on the market, we recommend Montway Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport. Both auto brokers performed well in our recent review of the best car shipping companies.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Availability
Montway Auto Transport works with over 15,000 motor carriers nationwide, making it our top choice for availability. The broker often offers below-average quotes for shipments and has a few add-on services including door-to-door shipments, expedited transport, and Hawaii car shipping. While Montway Auto Transport doesn't have the highest customer service ratings in the industry, many customers still praise its timely communication and ease of use.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Prices
Established in 2018, Sherpa Auto Transport is a licensed auto broker with positive customer reviews and a wide range of auto shipping services. The company holds a 4.9 out of 5-star customer rating on the BBB as well as high ratings across other customer review sites. We like Sherpa Auto Transport's Price Lock Promise, which promises that the quotes offered will be the final price you pay, with no fees added on at the end of the service.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is uShip legitimate?
Yes, uShip is a legitimate marketplace for customers to connect with potential auto shippers. The company works with about 788,000 carriers globally. However, uShip does not vet the carriers on its site, so it may be possible to encounter an illegitimate carrier using uShip's services.
What is the uShip fee?
With each service, uShip includes a service charge based on what you are shipping—vehicles, boats, household items, pets, or freight loads. The fee is not set, but it will appear on the total amount charged when you're ready to check out.
How long does it take to get bids on uShip?
According to uShip, "Initial bids from providers can arrive anywhere from 10 minutes to two days after listing, depending on the item, schedule, and location."
Are there other companies like uShip?
There are other auto shipping marketplaces available, but we recommend reaching out to reputable providers such as Montway Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport.
What's the best moving company?
Auto shipping ratings are based on a comprehensive comparison between every major car transport company in the industry. We rate providers based on cost, available services, company reputation, and the customer experience. Each auto transporter receives scores in these individual categories and an overall score out of 5.0 stars.
To formulate rankings, our review team considers a company's offerings compared to competitors, ratings from experts like the BBB, and customer reviews. We also collect sample quotes across a variety of shipping routes, distances, and transport types to measure pricing against the industry average.