Montway Auto Transport: Reviews, Costs, and Services (2021)
Whether you're moving across the county, dropping your student off at college, or planning to have a new vehicle delivered to your door, you've probably come across Montway Auto Transport. Our team has done the research in our Montway Auto Transport review to help you decide if the car shipping broker is right for you.
Transporting your vehicle can be expensive and time-consuming, so it's worth taking the extra time to find the right auto transporter for your needs. It's also a good idea to reach out to a few of the best car shipping companies, Montway included, to ensure you're getting the lowest price.
About Montway Auto Transport
Montway Auto Transport is a reputable auto shipping broker that was established in 2007. The company negotiates shipping deals between customers and a network of motor carriers.
Here's an overview of what makes Montway Auto Transport stand out from competitors:
- Vetted carrier network: Montway Auto Transport works with over 15,000 auto carriers nationwide, which it individually vets and checks for proper insurance credentials.
- Variety of car shipping services: The company offers open and enclosed trailer shipping, door-to-door delivery, expedited shipping, Hawaii shipping, international auto shipping, and privately owned vehicle (POV) shipping.
- Positive customer reviews: Montway Auto Transport holds accreditation and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and a 4.4-star rating on Trustpilot. Most customers have a positive car shipping experience, and Montway Auto Transport reviews mention the broker's timeliness, prompt communication, affordability, and hassle-free delivery.
Montway Auto Transport Cost
Montway offers affordable pricing for most of its shipping services and regularly gives lower quotes than competitors. Based on car shipping quotes we received, Montway Auto Transport services cost an average of $1,097 per transport, which is below the industry average we found of $2,082 for long-distance shipments.
Here are a few examples of prices we received from Montway Auto Transport for an operable 2018 Honda CR-V using door-to-door delivery service:
- 520 miles, open transport: $689
- 1,489 miles, open transport: $959
- 1,489 miles, enclosed transport: $1,289
- 2,445 miles, open transport: $1,389
We also reached out for a quote for an operable 2018 Lexus ES 350 using door-to-door delivery service. Shipping this luxury vehicle came out to $1,159 for enclosed transport across 1,489 miles.
Montway gives discounts to military members, returning customers, and car owners who pay in cash.
What Affects the Cost of Auto Shipping?
Though Montway Auto Transport offers cheap car shipping options to most customers, there are a few factors that will impact the cost to ship your car, including:
- Miles traveled: Cross-country shipments will have better rates per mile than shipments traveling a few hundred miles, but the total car shipping cost will be higher.
- Transport type: Enclosed auto shipments are more costly than open shipments.
- Price of fuel: Depending on the economy, car shipping companies will charge more to compensate for carriers' fuel costs.
- Shipping seasonality: It is more expensive to ship vehicles during the summer months and in January due to higher demand.
- Carrier competition: The higher competition between carrier bids, the lower the auto shipping costs.
- Vehicle operability: It is more costly to ship an inoperable vehicle than an operable one.
- Vehicle size: Larger vehicles, such as SUVs and trucks, will cost more to ship than a standard sedan.
Montway Auto Transport Services
Montway Auto Transport services include standard auto shipping options—open, enclosed, door-to-door—as well as a few add-on services. The company also offers guaranteed pickup dates and international shipping at an additional cost.
Here's an overview of Montway Auto Transport's auto shipping services:
- Open transport: This is the most cost-effective auto shipping option, as your car is shipped with other vehicles. However, your vehicle will be exposed to the elements throughout the drive.
- Enclosed transport: This option is more expensive than open car transport. This shipping service protects vehicles from any inclement weather or debris on the road. It's best for luxury and classic car owners.
- Door-to-door shipping: Vehicles are shipped directly to your home rather than meeting a trucker at a terminal.
- Expedited transport: Car owners can choose prioritized shipping options with shorter wait times for an additional fee.
- Hawaii auto shipping: You can choose port-to-port and port-to-door shipping options between the mainland U.S. and Hawaii for an additional cost.
Montway Auto Transport does not ship RVs or personal watercraft, but it does offer motorcycle shipping services. With any vehicle transport, Montway Auto Transport will allow one suitcase or box of personal items (weighing less than 100 pounds) to be stored in the trunk during transport at no additional cost. However, this is not available for any over-water shipments.
Montway Auto Transport does not have a mobile app for delivery tracking, but you can monitor your vehicle via email or phone call.
Here are the pros and cons of transporting your vehicle with Montway Auto Transport:
Montway Auto Transport Pros:
- Affordable pricing
- Decent customer satisfaction and industry ratings
- Free vehicle shipping insurance
- 24/7 online chat feature
- Guaranteed pickup dates
Montway Auto Transport Cons:
- No real-time tracking or mobile app
- No shipping services for recreational vehicles or personal watercraft
How Does Montway Auto Transport Shipping Work?
To get a quote from Montway Auto Transport, you'll need to provide the broker with a few key details, including:
- Your starting location and destination
- Your preference for open or enclosed shipping
- Your vehicle make, model, year, and operability
- Your contact information
Using these details, Montway Auto Transport connects customers with an available carrier. Customers can then decide on a pickup and drop-off date with the car carrier and, depending on the delivery option chosen, meet the carrier at or near their home to receive their shipment. Once the vehicle is delivered, customers will be asked to sign a bill of lading to verify delivery.
You can either pay online using a credit card or in cash at the time of delivery. The auto broker charges a $199 cancellation fee for any shipments that have been accepted by a carrier. Any cancellations before that point are free of charge.
Does Montway Auto Transport Provide Shipping Insurance?
For on-land shipments, your vehicle is covered under "an Inland Marine Cargo Insurance policy of up to $100,000," according to Montway Auto Transport. This coverage is provided by the carrier, comes at no additional cost, and protects you from any damages or losses that may occur during shipping. Personal items are not covered.
However, it's a good idea to check with your insurance company about your existing auto insurance coverages before shipping your vehicle. If you have comprehensive coverage, you should be covered against any potential damages.
Montway Auto Transport Reviews
Montway Auto Transport reviews are largely positive. With over 1,600 customer reviews on the BBB's website, the company holds a 4.49 out of 5-star consumer rating as well as an A+ rating from the BBB itself.
Customers praise Montway Auto Transport's timely communication, easy shipping process, and delivery date flexibility. The company also has a 4.4-star rating out of 5.0 on Trustpilot backed by more than 900 customer reviews.
Some drivers have reported difficulty reaching Montway Auto Transport during the shipping process, while others have had issues dealing with late carriers used by the company. However, these reviews are in the minority.
Here are a few examples of Montway Auto Transport reviews:
Positive Montway Auto Transport Reviews
Negative Montway Auto Transport Reviews
Final Thoughts on Montway Auto Transport: 4.5 Stars
We give Montway Auto Transport a 4.5 out of 5.0-star rating as well as the award for Best Availability. The auto shipping company offers low-cost rates to most drivers and holds decent customer satisfaction ratings thanks to its timely communication and easy-to-use shipping process.
We also like its add-on coverage options for expedited and Hawaii shipping. However, we wish the company offered GPS tracking with its services.
Montway Auto Transport Ratings
- Reputation: 5.0
- Cost: 4.5
- Services: 4.0
- Customer Experience: 4.0
- Overall Rating: 4.5
Top Recommendations for Car Shipping
As mentioned, it's a good idea to get quotes from several car shippers before deciding what service to use. While Montway Auto Transport is a reputable auto shipping company, we also recommend reaching out to uShip and Sherpa Auto Transport.
uShip: Best Auto Transport Marketplace
Unlike other auto shipping companies, uShip acts as a marketplace for customers and carriers to connect. It is neither a traditional broker nor a carrier. After providing information about their shipping needs, customers are connected with several carriers that bid on customers' business. uShip currently holds an A+ rating from the BBB and a 4.5 out of 5.0-star rating on Trustpilot.
Learn more about the company in our uShip review.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Prices
Established in 2018, Sherpa Auto Transport is a licensed auto broker with positive customer service reviews and a wide range of auto shipping services. The company holds a 4.90 out of 5.0-star customer rating on the BBB as well as high ratings across other customer review sites. We like Sherpa Auto Transport's Price Lock Promise, which guarantees that the quote you're offered will be the final price you pay.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Montway Auto Transport legitimate?
Yes, Montway Auto Transport is a legitimate company that provides car shipping services nationwide. It was established in 2007 and has thousands of customer reviews across sites such as Trustpilot and the BBB.
Is Montway Auto Transport a broker?
Yes, Montway is a registered and licensed auto transportation broker. The company works with carriers nationwide to ensure safe, timely auto shipments for its customers.
What is the best auto transport company to use?
In our 2021 review of the best auto shipping companies, we gave Montway Auto Transport the award for Best Availability based on its affordability, high customer service ratings, array of services, and guaranteed pickup dates. It earned 4.5 out of 5.0 stars overall.
Where is Montway Auto Transport located?
Montway Auto Transport is headquartered in Schaumburg, Illinois.
Who owns Montway Auto Transport?
Montway Auto Transport is owned by Mihail Mihailov.
Auto shipping ratings are based on a comprehensive comparison between every major car transport company in the industry. We rate providers based on cost, available services, company reputation, and the customer experience. Each auto transporter receives scores in these individual categories and an overall score out of 5.0 stars.
To formulate rankings, our review team considers a company's offerings compared to competitors, ratings from experts like the BBB, and customer reviews. We also collect sample quotes across a variety of shipping routes, distances, and transport types to measure pricing against the industry average.