AmeriFreight: Reviews, Services, and Costs (2021)
AmeriFreight reviews are some of the best in the auto transport industry, with most customers praising the broker's timeliness, affordability, and range of services. But with all the car shipping companies available, is AmeriFreight the right car shipper for your needs?
In our 2021 review of the industry's best car shipping companies, we recognized AmeriFreight for having the Best Discounts among providers we reviewed. Read on to learn more about the provider's costs, services, expert ratings, and customer feedback.
Established in 2004, AmeriFreight is a popular auto transport broker. Auto brokers connect customers with motor carriers from their shipping network and negotiate prices.
The auto shipping company stands out from competitors by offering:
- Discounts: Compared to other shipping companies, AmeriFreight offers a wide variety of discounts to drivers. Most discounts apply to military personnel, students, and medical workers, though there are some available to loyal customers and those shipping multiple vehicles.
- Shipping services: AmeriFreight provides a wide range of shipping services for cars, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), recreational vehicles (RVs), and other alternative vehicles.
- Vetted carrier network: As of 2021, AmeriFreight works with 10,000 carriers nationwide, each of which is vetted based on insurance coverage and customer ratings.
- High satisfaction ratings: AmeriFreight has positive reviews across a number of consumer review sites. The company currently holds an accredited A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), showing that it responds to and handles complaints in a timely manner.
AmeriFreight Car Shipping Cost
AmeriFreight's prices are affordable for most car owners. The quotes we received from the company for an operable 2018 SUV traveling around 1,500 miles averaged out to about $1,300. Your own AmeriFreight costs will vary depending on multiple factors, so we recommend using this as a starting estimate.
For example, AmeriFreight offers open and enclosed transport as well as different delivery priorities: Economy, Priority, and First Class. Economy takes one to seven days to deliver your vehicle, Priority takes one to four, and First Class takes one to two. Here are a few sample prices:
- Open, Economy transport: $929
- Enclosed, First Class transport: $1,671
Most AmeriFreight reviews mention low car shipping costs, which are thanks to the company's large carrier network and available discounts. More carriers mean more competition, which drives down costs for car owners.
AmeriFreight discounts include:
- Military: $35 off
- First responders: $35 off
- Medical personnel: $35 off
- Students: $25 off
- Senior citizens: $25 off
- Returning customers: $50
- Multiple vehicles: $50
- Early Bird: $25
Aside from the Early Bird discount, multiple discounts cannot be applied to the same shipment.
What Affects the Cost of Auto Shipping?
Car shipping costs are highly variable, but you can control some of the factors that affect your final quote. Here are some of the factors to consider if you're looking for the lowest rates.
- Miles traveled: Cross-country shipments have better rates per mile than shipments traveling only a few hundred miles, but they cost more in total.
- Transport type: Enclosed auto shipments are more expensive than open shipments. If you have your vehicle delivered to your door rather than to a designated terminal, it's also more expensive.
- Time of year: It is more expensive to ship vehicles during the summer months and in January due to higher demand.
- Carrier competition: The more competition between carriers, the lower the auto shipping costs.
- Vehicle operability: It is more costly to ship an inoperable vehicle than an operable one since it takes more resources to load non-working cars onto transport vehicles.
AmeriFreight Auto Shipping Services
AmeriFreight offers auto shipping in all 50 states. Services include:
- Open transport: Cheap car shipping option, though vehicle is exposed to the elements
- Enclosed transport: More expensive but protects vehicle from inclement weather and road debris
- Home delivery: Vehicle drop-off location is as close to your home as possible
- Terminal-to-terminal car transport: Vehicle is picked up and dropped off at centralized delivery locations rather than a home or business
- Expedited shipping: One to seven day delivery depending on the shipping method you choose (Economy, Priority, or First Class)
- Variety of discounts available
- AmeriFreight reviews are overall positive
- Available in 50 states
- Provides transport services for ATVs, RVs, motorcycles, and other specialty vehicles
- Quotes only available by phone
- No real-time tracking or mobile app
How Does AmeriFreight Auto Shipping Work?
Car owners will need to provide AmeriFreight with the following information during the initial quote process:
- Starting location
- Vehicle make, model, age, and operability
- Contact information (name, email, and phone number)
AmeriFreight quotes are only available by phone, but a car shipping rate calculator is available on the company's website. After receiving your information, the broker will offer multiple carrier options from its network. Your final quote will depend on which carrier you choose.
AmeriFreight encourages customers to research carriers before committing to a shipment. You'll also need to decide if you want to purchase additional guaranteed asset protection (GAP) coverage from AmeriFreight.
Does AmeriFreight Provide Vehicle Shipping Insurance?
The carriers that AmeriFreight works with provide shipping insurance. You can get additional protection directly from AmeriFreight called AF Total Assurance (AFta). This is not insurance, but a protection plan that covers any gaps in vehicle protection not covered by the carrier's insurance policy. Coverage is available in three tiers: Comprehensive, Standard, and Basic.
- Comprehensive: This costs $98 per shipment and gives you $2,000 in major damage coverage, $800 in minor damage coverage, $300 toward lost or stolen keys, and cancellation coverage.
- Standard: This costs $78 per shipment and gives you $2,000 in major damage coverage, $800 in minor damage coverage, and $300 toward lost or stolen keys.
- Basic: This costs $48 per shipment and gives you $600 in minor damage coverage.
To ensure you're not paying extra for coverage you don't need, we recommend reviewing your carrier's insurance policy. If you already carry comprehensive car insurance, you may not need AmeriFreight's gap coverage, as you'll likely be covered for any losses or damage.
AmeriFreight reviews are largely positive. The company holds an accredited A+ rating from the BBB alongside a 4.86 out of 5-star customer rating. The BBB rates companies on an A+ through F grading system, scoring a company's ability to effectively resolve customer issues. The auto broker has fielded fewer than 10 complaints in the past three years.
AmeriFreight holds similarly high ratings on Google. With over 2,900 AmeriFreight reviews, the broker has a 4.7-star rating. People who use AmeriFreight to ship their vehicle frequently mention the company's timeliness and competitive pricing.
To give you a better idea of AmeriFreight's customer experience, we detailed positive and negative reviews from customers below.
Positive AmeriFreight Reviews
Negative AmeriFreight Reviews
While it can be frustrating, it's common in the industry for a final quote to be higher than the initial quote received from a broker.
Final Thoughts on AmeriFreight: 4.5 Stars
We rate AmeriFreight 4.5 out of 5.0 stars and recognize it for having the Best Discounts on the market. The auto transporter works with vetted carriers, offers many auto shipping services, and has competitive pricing. AmeriFreight reviews are above average, as are the company's industry ratings.
- Reputation: 4.5
- Cost: 4.0
- Services: 4.5
- Customer Experience: 4.5
- Overall Rating: 4.5
Top Recommendations for Car Shipping
Even though AmeriFreight is an excellent option for transport services, it's a good idea to get car shipping quotes online from several auto transport companies before signing a contract. Other reputable auto transporters include Montway Auto Transport and Sherpa Auto Transport.
Montway Auto Transport: Best Availability
Montway Auto Transport is another auto broker with multiple shipping options. It offers open, enclosed, door-to-door, expedited, Hawaii, and international shipping. Montway provides low-cost rates for many customers—our quotes averaged out to $1,097 for its services. The company only works with vetted carriers and offers free insurance coverage with any shipment.
Sherpa Auto Transport: Best for Locked-In Prices
Sherpa Auto Transport is best for customers who want to know their car shipping costs up front. With Sherpa Auto Transport, you won't pay more than the amount you're quoted, as the company has a Price Lock Promise. Sherpa offers open, enclosed, and door-to-door delivery services in 48 states (Hawaii and Alaska are not available destinations).
Frequently Asked Questions
Is AmeriFreight legitimate?
Yes, AmeriFreight is a legitimate company headquartered in Peachtree City, Georgia. The auto broker provides various services to customers including open and enclosed transport, door-to-door delivery, terminal-to-terminal shipping, and expedited shipping.
Is AmeriFreight a broker?
Yes, AmeriFreight is a Department of Transportation (DOT) licensed auto shipping broker.
Which car shipping company is the best?
Montway Auto Transport, AmeriFreight, and Sherpa Auto Transport are three of the best car shipping companies. In our comprehensive industry review, each earned a 4.0-star rating or above. We considered reputation, cost, services, and customer experience when rating each company.
Should I ship my car open or enclosed?
It depends on your budget and car. If you're looking for a low-cost shipping option, it's better to go with open shipping. If your car is a classic or luxury vehicle, it's probably better to opt for enclosed transport, as it won't be exposed to the elements during shipping. You should also consider enclosed shipping if your vehicle has a ground clearance of fewer than four inches.
What's the best moving company?
Auto shipping ratings are based on a comprehensive comparison between every major car transport company in the industry. We rate providers based on cost, available services, company reputation, and the customer experience. Each auto transporter receives scores in these individual categories and an overall score out of 5.0 stars.
To formulate rankings, our review team considers a company's offerings compared to competitors, ratings from experts like the BBB, and customer reviews. We also collect sample quotes across a variety of shipping routes, distances, and transport types to measure pricing against the industry average.