What You Need:
- 1x6 cut to desired length for back piece
- 1x4 cut to desired length for top shelf
- Miter box
- Hand saw
- Short 2x4 for corner blocks
- 1-inch outside corner molding
- Decorative molding as desired (for ideas and samples, see next page)
- Finish nails
- Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
- Latex paint if desired
5. Add Molding
Cut decorative moldings to fit between the corner blocks. Fasten the molding to the frame using 6d finish nails. For best results attaching small moldings, use a glue gun and hot glue. Apply glue to the back of the molding and set it in place. Hold firmly until the glue sets, about 30 seconds. Clean up excess glue immediately.
How to Create Custom Details
The many stock moldings available today in lumber stores and home centers beg for imaginative uses. By combining different moldings, it's possible to create custom decorative details that are uniquely fitted to your home and tastes.
This image shows a basic plate rail -- a piece of 1x4 for the top and a length of 1x6 for the back -- embellished with a simple style of crown molding.