The 8 Best Snowblowers to Help You Handle Even the Worst Blizzards
Winter storms that blanket your home in snow look pretty, but shoveling off all that precipitation can be exhausting. If you live in an area that typically receives heavy snowfall, a snowblower can be a smart investment. These machines help you clear off several inches of snow in one quick sweep, saving your back from the heavy lifting of shoveling and cutting down the time you have to spend outside in frigid weather. Although they're a financial investment, a quality snowblower can get you through numerous winters with ease.
When choosing the best snowblower for you, it's important to consider how much snow you usually get, the type of snow (heavy and wet or powdery and dry), and the surface area you need to clear. There are two basic types of snowblowers to choose from: single-stage and two-stage models. This refers to the mechanism used to gather up the snow on the ground. A single-stage snowblower uses an auger (a corkscrew-like part) to draw in the snow and channel it into the discharge chute. For two-stage machines, a rotating impeller works alongside the auger to push snow into the chute, adding more power and efficiency that's great for heavy jobs.
You'll also need to choose between gas-powered and electric snowblowers, which could run on a battery or via a cord. In general, gas blowers are more powerful but require more upkeep than their electric counterparts.
- Best Electric: RYOBI 40V HP Brushless 21 in. Cordless Single Stage Snow Thrower
- Best Budget-Friendly: Snow Joe Electric Snow Thrower
- Best Compact: Toro Power Clear Single-Stage Self Propelled Electric Start Gas Snow Blower
- Best Gas-Powered: Legend Force 24 in. Two-Stage Gas Snow Blower with Electric Start
- Best Heavy-Duty: Ariens Deluxe 28 in. Two- Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower
- Most Lightweight: Greenworks Pro 80V 20 inch Snow Thrower
- Best for Deep Snow: PowerSmart Snow Blower
- Best Splurge: EGO Power+ 24 in. Self-Propelled 2-Stage Snow Blower
To help narrow down your search, we've rounded up six bestselling snowblowers that make clearing off your driveway, deck, or walkways quick and painless.