Patriotic CookiesHave a blast making these cookies!
Decorative star and firecracker sandwich cookies are filled with canned icing and crushed candies for patriotic flavor in every bite.
continue reading below
Tips for Rolling Out Cookies
- Work with one portion of dough at a time, keeping the remaining portions covered and chilled.
- Roll out your dough to an even thickness (1/8 inch), starting from the center and rolling toward the edges. Use a ruler to measure the thickness of the dough.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes as closely together as possible to avoid having to reroll dough. Too much rerolling of the dough scraps can make your cookies dry and tough.
- If you must reroll the dough, do it on a work surface dusted with a mixture of equal parts of all-purpose flour and powdered sugar.
- Transfer your cutouts to a cookie sheet with a pancake turner or a wide metal spatula.