Woven Colors Vest
This ribbon-embellished vest sings of the red, white, and blue.
- Vest pattern, such as KWIK SEW No. 2209, size medium, view C
- Red wool fabric and lining according to pattern
- Foam core board
- Straight pins
- 2-1/2 yards each of three different blue ribbons in widths 1/2 to 7/8 inch
- 2-1/2 yards each of three different red ribbons in widths 1/2 to 7/8 inch
- Notions according to pattern
- Three 7/8-inch covered button kits
- 1-1/2 yards light weight nonwoven fusible interfacing
- Six 5/8-inch shank gold-color star buttons
1. For the woven lapel, work a 6- x 16-inch piece of ribbon weaving (for one lapel). Repeat for opposite lapel, reversing ribbon colors. Trace the lapel pattern onto fusible side of interfacing, allowing several inches past the shape. Pin interfacing to foam core board, fusible side up.
2. Starting at the top inside corner of the pattern, pin a ribbon on the bias to corner (45 degree angle). Continue pinning ribbons to cover pattern area. Weave ribbons, pinning ends to foam core board. With a warm iron and a press cloth, fuse ribbons to interfacing. Place and pin the pattern on ribbon weaving. Machine-stitch along edge of pattern. Cut out lapel just beyond stitching. Make opposite lapel by reversing the weaving pattern.
3. Cut and stitch vest according to pattern, featuring the welts and lapel binding in wool fabric. Cover buttons according to manufacturer's directions. Add three star buttons to each welt.