Finished quilt top: 19 x 25 inches
Quantities specified for 44/45-inch-wide, 100-percent-cotton fabrics. All measurements include a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise indicated.
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the order that follows.
1. From dark red print, cut:
2. From solid off-white, cut:
3. From black print, cut:
4. From gold floral, cut:
5. From gold polka dot, cut:
6. From black stripe, cut:
7. From red print, cut:
1. Join the dark red print 5 x 1-1/4-inch strip and the solid off-white 5 x 1-1/4-inch strip to make a short flag stripe unit (see Flag Assembly Diagram). Sew the short flag stripe unit to one short edge of the navy star print 6-1/2 x 2-inch rectangle to make the top half of the flag. Then sew together the dark red print 11 x 1-1/4-inch strip and the solid off-white 11 x 1-1/4-inch strip to make the bottom half of the flag. Join the top and bottom flag halves to make the flag applique unit.
2. Referring to the photograph for placement, lay out the red plaid rectangle, the black print A piece, the tan print rectangle, the gold floral B star, the eight gold polka dot 1-1/2 x 2-1/2-inch rectangles, and the navy plaid rectangle to form the house on the cream print foundation rectangle. Arrange the pieced flag applique unit and the black stripe 7/8 x 20-inch strip on the foundation. When pleased with the arrangement of all the pieces, baste them in place.
3. Using threads in colors that match the fabrics, applique the pieces in place, working from the bottom layer to the top.
4. Using black embroidery floss, backstitch the words "Old Glory" on the cream print foundation to complete the quilt center.
5. Sew a black stripe 1 x 20-1/2-inch inner border strip to each side edge of the quilt center. Then join a black stripe 1 x 15-1/2-inch inner border strip to the top and bottom edges of the quilt center. Press all seam allowances toward the inner border.
6. Cut a zigzag pattern with six points along a long edge of each gold polka dot 2 x 22-inch strip.
7. With right sides facing up, center a zigzagged gold polka dot strip atop each red print 2-1/2 x 21-1/2-inch strip, aligning raw edges. Applique the gold polka dot strips to the red print strips to make long outer border units.
8. Sew one long outer border unit to each side edge of the quilt center.
9. Cut a zigzag pattern with five points along a long edge of each gold polka dot 2 x 17-1/2-inch strip.
10. With right sides facing up, center a zigzagged gold polka dot strip atop each red print 2-1/2 x 19-1/2-inch strip, aligning raw edges. Applique the gold polka dot strips to the red print strips to make the short outer border units.
11. Sew a short outer border unit to the top and bottom edges of the quilt center to complete the quilt top.
12. Layer the quilt top, batting, and backing. Quilt as desired.
13. Bind the quilt with the black stripe 2-1/2 x 42-inch strips.