Layered papers, antiquing gel, and a treasured photograph provide a vintage appearance to this album cover.
1. Remove the pages from the album. In a well-ventilated work area, lay the book flat, cover side up, on a newspaper-covered work surface. Spray the book with white primer. Let the paint dry.
2. Tear strips of red and blue paper into shapes.
3. Using a paintbrush, spread a generous amount of decoupage medium onto the book cover. Cover the book with white paper. Paint decoupage medium over the white paper. Layer blue paper strips in the upper left corner. Layer the red paper on the book, and paint decoupage medium over it. The papers should extend beyond the edges at least 1/2 inch. Let the decoupage medium dry.
4. Trace the stars onto tracing paper and cut them out. Trace around the large star once and the small star twice onto heavy textured paper. Cut out stars. Decoupage the stars on the cover.
5. For the cover photograph, use an original, photocopy, or computer-print of a photo. Trim the photo to the desired size. Spray the back of the photo with photo adhesive. Affix it to colored cardboard or heavy cardstock. Spray adhesive on the back to affix it to the album cover. Coat the surface of the photo album, including the photo, with decoupage medium.
6. Trim the paper around the edge of the book, allowing approximately 3/8 inch to extend beyond the edges. Fold the paper over the edge and decoupage it in place. Let the medium dry.
7. Paint a thin coat of antiquing gel over the surface of the album cover. Wipe gently with a damp cloth. Let the antiquing dry.