These all-American quilt blocks make a decorative cushion.
Finished size: 16 x 16 inches.
All seam allowances are 1/4 inch wide.
From solid red, cut:
From striped print, cut:
From navy print, cut:
2. Sew a 3-1/2 x 9-1/2-inch striped border strip to each side of the block.
3. Sew a red 3-1/2-inch square to each side of remaining 3-1/2 x 9-1/2-inch striped border strips.
4. Sew one strip to top and bottom of block. Add 1 x 15-1/2-inch border strip to each side of block. Then sew a 1 x 16-1/2-inch border strip to top and bottom of block. Press seams toward border.
1. Fold each 1 x 21-1/2-inch navy tie strip in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew lengthwise, sewing one end closed at an angle. Turn right side out; press.
2. Stack together two tie strips at 1/4 inch from each corner on top edge of block front with raw edges together at edges of block, the ties hanging down toward center of right side of block. Stitch ties in place.
3. Lay block on backing fabric, right sides together, then lay both pieces together on batting. Baste. Trim backing and batting to size of chairback block. Stitch together leaving a 4-inch opening at bottom edge. Turn and press.
4. Stitch the opening closed. Quilt as desired.