What You Need:Wear the American spirit on your sweatshirts.
- Tracing paper
- Sweatshirt in white or blue
- Print fabrics in red and blue
- 1/2 yard fusible web
- Gold and iridescent blue embroidery thread
- Four 1-inch gold star sew-on emblems
- 1/2-inch gold shank button
- 1-1/2-inch tassels on loops each in red, white, and blue
1. Trace a star or heart pattern. Cut out the pattern.
2. Measure the sweatshirt front to find the vertical center. Place pins to mark the center. To make the patterns for the stripes on the stars and stripes sweatshirt, cut three 2-1/2 x 16-inch pieces from tracing paper. Pin the patterns horizontally on the sweatshirt, left ends at the center 2-1/2 inches between the pattern pieces. Trim the right ends of the pattern pieces at the side seam of the sweatshirt.
3. Following the manufacturer's directions, fuse the fusible webbing to the back of the fabrics. Trace around the patterns on the paper backing of the fusible webbing. Cut out. Remove paper backing and fuse to sweatshirt.
4. Using blanket stitches and gold thread, outline the heart and the stars. Use blanket stitches and iridescent blue thread to outline the stripes.
5. For the heart sweatshirt, sew three star emblems across the heart. Sew one star at the bottom of the heart. Sew a gold button in center of star and hang tassels from the button.