Make Monstrously Cool Pumpkins
These adorable monster pumpkins will stretch your creativity beyond simple carving this year. Add playful eyes and gourds to this year's pumpkins to make easy, silly monster pumpkins with our easy pumpkin carving templates. Plus, get more of our favorite pumpkin carving ideas!
When choosing pumpkins to shape into these adorable monsters, select large, smooth gourds with interesting stems (look for long and dramatic or short and twisty). To create the pumpkin monster in the middle, we used a large gray Jarrahdale pumpkin; look for this variety at farms or farmers markets.free single eye & mouth stencil pattern (left) free sharp pointy teeth stencil pattern (right) free squiggly mouth stencil pattern (center)
How To Make It:
1. Clean out your pumpkins by carving a circle in what will be the bottom of your finished design. Clean out the pumpkins by reaching into the carved opening and pulling out the seeds and strings.
2. Transfer your printed patterns onto the pumpkins by taping them in place and using a needle tool to create closely spaced holes along the stencil lines. (Hint: Keep holes within 1/8" of each other for best results.)
3. Remove the patterns and use a gouge, etching tool or knife to remove the pumpkin skin over the monsters' teeth, scraping gently the dark outer skin to reveal the light-color rind below.
4. Carve the mouth openings by gently sawing along the pin-hole guidelines with a skinny serrated woodcutting knife. Pop out cutout sections by pushing on them gently from inside the pumpkin, so the pieces fall to the outside.
5. To create the pumpkin with monster eyes, divide clear plastic ball ornaments in half and paint the outside of the ornaments with crafts paint in vivid colors. Allow them to dry completely. While they dry, cut large white circles and smaller black circles from crafts foam and assemble them into six eyes by hot-gluing the circles together. Embellish the white circles by sketching on red veins with a felt-tipped marker. Hot-glue the eyes to the center of the painted eyeballs.
6. To create the Single Eye and Mouth Monster, drill two large holes in the pumpkin's top and insert two long-handle gourds for antennae. Cut a hole in the front of the pumpkin and insert an eyeball.
7. To create the Sharp Pointy Teeth Monster, drill a large hole above the carved mouth and insert a decorative gourd, allowing part of the gourd to protrude as a nose. Hot-glue two eyes to the side of the stem.
8. To create the Squiggly Mouth Monster, drill two large holes along the pumpkin's sides and insert long, skinny gourds for arms. Hot-glue three eyes along the top of the pumpkin.