A 5-Pound Solution
Losing the last tread of your spare tire may seem like a daunting task, especially if leftover goodies are still lurking in the cupboard. But cutting out 17,500 calories (3,500 calories per pound) in just one month via diet and exercise is as simple as following these few tips.
1. Make your coffee light by using skim milk and artificial sweetener, instead of cream and sugar. Calories Lost/Burned: 3,600*
2. Enjoy nature -- have a snowball fight with your family and friends while the snow lasts. Calories Lost/Burned: 900*
3. Get off the elevator one floor sooner and take the stairs the rest of the way. Calories Lost/Burned: 1,500*
4. Iron your shirts yourself. Leave the mop and vacuum in the closet, and sweep and scrub the floors yourself. Calories Lost/Burned: 1,420*
5. Peel the pepperoni off your pizza or opt for the veggie lover's version instead. Calories Lost/Burned: 480*
6. Lose the cheese and mayo on your lunchtime burger or sandwich. Calories Lost/Burned: 3,000*
7. Turn the grocery store into a walking track and shop in laps, working your way from the outermost to the innermost lanes. Calories Lost/Burned: 600*
8. Replace one sugar-based drink (soda, real fruit beverage) with water every day. Calories Lost/Burned: 6,000* Total calories burned or lost: 17,500*
*Calorie burn based on 155-pound person over one month's time. People who weight more will burn more. All numbers quoted are approximate. Check with your doctor first before doing any exercise.