Before heading for the airport, take five minutes to write down medical information that you may need in an emergency. Dr. Wayne J. Riley, director of the travel medicine service at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, suggests travelers make a list of this information and keep a copy in your purse or wallet and a duplicate in your suitcase. Include the following facts:
- Your name, address, and home and office phone numbers
- Blood type
- Your doctor's name, address, and an emergency phone number
- Name of your health insurance company and the policy number
- Any current or chronic health conditions and current medicines
- Name, address, and phone number of a family member.