What You'll Need
- Three pumpkins (choose a small size so stencil fits)
- Carving tools (gouge, knife)
- Black permanent marker
- Sheets of clear cellophane
- Halloween-theme ribbon
- Crafts knife
- Hot-glue gun and hotmelt adhesive
- Three 1- to 2-inch-diameter dowels
- Black scrapbooking papers
continue reading below
How to Make It
- Download and print the free pumpkin stencils.
- Transfer the patterns onto the pumpkins. With a gouge, cut around the letters, going just deep enough to reveal the inner rind. Outline the letters with black permanent marker, and decorate them with stripes and polka dots as desired.
- Cut off the pumpkin stems. Wrap a sheet of clear cellophane around each pumpkin, twisting and tying the excess at the sides using ribbon. Cut a small slit in the cellophane on top of the pumpkin at the stem base. Hot-glue the stem back onto the pumpkin through the slit.
- Cut the three dowels to the desired length for the mounting posts. Using a crafts knife, whittle one end of each dowel to a point. Cover the poles with black scrapbooking paper and embellish with additional ribbon.
- Pound the dowels into the ground with the pointed ends up. Push the pumpkins onto the pointed dowels.