We ordinarily don't trust a crocodile smile. But something about this pumpkin's toothy grin (and easy carving instructions) won us over. Print our free stencil to see if this spooky charmer brings you around, too.
Nothing beats a flickering flame inside a hand-carved pumpkin, especially when it's flashing a ghoulish smile. Just follow our step-by-step instructions to add this eerie do-it-yourself creation to your porch's pumpkin display. We even include lighting tips (Hint: Carve from the bottom!).
1. Lay the pumpkin on its side to access the bottom. Cut a circle in the bottom of the pumpkin (not the top!), and scoop out the seeds. Use a knife to level the inside surface of the cut circle; this way, you can stand a candle easily inside the pumpkin.
2. Scrape down the inner pumpkin flesh on the side you're planning to carve; for easier carving, we recommend scraping to less than 1" thickness.
3. Tape the printed stencil to the outside of the pumpkin. Using a pin, prick along the stencil outlines, piercing the paper through to skin of the pumpkin. Keep pin pricks tightly spaced; you'll use them as a carving guide.
4. Tear off the paper stencil. Using a thin knife, carve along the pin prick guides, cutting through to the inside of the pumpkin. Discard excess pumpkin pieces.
5. Place a lit candle (or electrical candle) on the leveled bottom, and set the carved pumpkin over it.