Nothing beats a flickering flame inside a hand-carved pumpkin, especially when it's flashing a ghoulish smile. Just follow our step-by-step instructions to add this eerie do-it-yourself creation to your porch's pumpkin display. We even include lighting tips (Hint: Carve from the bottom!).
1. Lay the pumpkin on its side to access the bottom. Cut a circle in the bottom of the pumpkin (not the top!), and scoop out the seeds. Use a knife to level the inside surface of the cut circle; this way, you can stand a candle easily inside the pumpkin.
2. Scrape down the inner pumpkin flesh on the side you're planning to carve; for easier carving, we recommend scraping to less than 1" thickness.
3. Tape the printed stencil to the outside of the pumpkin. Using a pin, prick along the stencil outlines, piercing the paper through to skin of the pumpkin. Keep pin pricks tightly spaced; you'll use them as a carving guide.
4. Tear off the paper stencil. Using a thin knife, carve along the pin prick guides, cutting through to the inside of the pumpkin. Discard excess pumpkin pieces.
5. Place a lit candle (or electrical candle) on the leveled bottom, and set the carved pumpkin over it.