1. Log in to BHG.com to print out our free Welcome to Forks pattern, and attach the pattern to the side of a cleaned-out pumpkin. (Hint: For best results, choose the smoothest, flattest side of the pumpkin.)
2. With a pin tool, insert closely spaced holes along the stencil lines, piercing through the paper and the pumpkin skin underneath. Transfer all pattern lines into the surface of the pumpkin, then gently remove the printed pattern, keeping it close by for reference.
3. Review the printed pattern to locate areas surrounded by dotted lines. With a chisel or electric etching tool, scrape away the pumpkin's skin within these areas, exposing the rind below.
4. Find pattern areas surrounded by solid lines and use a skinny serrated woodcutting knife to carve these areas. (Tip: Slowly and gently saw along the pin holes for less risk of breakage and allow all carved sections to remain in place within the pumpkin wall until you've finished carving.)
5. Nudge carved sections outward by pressing on them from inside the pumpkin, revealing the design. Light up your message by adding a battery-operated candle to the empty pumpkin cavity.