Lighten up your porch pumpkin display with this adorable DIY carved pumpkin. With happy eyes and a one-toothed smile, this carved cutie will charm your neighbors before you can say "Boo!" Free carving stencil included!
Who says Halloween traditions have to be complex? Keep the season simple and fun with our step-by-step directions and printable stencil. And for this grinning gourd, the emphasis is on fun.
1. Print the stencil pattern. If necessary, use a photocopier to resize the pattern to fit your pumpkin.
2. Clean out the pumpkin, using an ice cream scoop to remove pulp and seeds. Scrape the pumpkin flesh thinnest where you're planning to carve the design.
3. Tape the stencil pattern to the surface of the pumpkin.
4. Using a pin, prick through the paper into the surface of the pumpkin, following the stencil lines. Space pin pricks close together; you'll use them as a carving guide.
5. Remove the paper stencil and use a thin crafts knife to carve the pattern, tracing along the pin pricks.
Tip: To help your carved pumpkin last longer, apply a thin coating of petroleum jelly to the cut surfaces of the pumpkin.