Norwegian Forest Cat Pumpkin Stencil
If you're the lucky owner of a Norwegian forest cat, we have the jack-o'-lantern for you! We've captured this thick-coated, bright-eyed cat's likeness in an elegant pumpkin stencil. Create yours at home for an impressive Halloween display and a loving tribute to your favorite kitty. Print out our free stencil by clicking the button below!
To make the whisker dots on this gorgeously detailed cat face, we recommend using a power drill. Fit your drill with a tiny bit, place it over the pin-hole markers from the stencil, and gently bore a small hole. Repeat as necessary to create all the whisker markings.
1. With a small, serrated knife, saw a large circle in the bottom of your pumpkin. Pry out the circle and level it with your knife; this will be a candle platform later. Reach in and scoop out all the pumpkin guts, reserving the seeds to toast later as a snack, if desired.
2. Scrape the inside wall of the pumpkin thinnest on the side you're planning to carve. (Hint: Look for the pumpkin's smoothest, flattest side for best carving results.) Tape your printed Norwegian forest cat stencil to the side of the pumpkin, smoothing out the stencil with your hands.
3. While holding the pumpkin steady, use a needle tool to make pin holes along the stencil lines, keeping holes within 1/8" of each other. Remove the stencil after transferring all lines, but keep it nearby.
4. Refer to the stencil to locate areas that require etching. Using an etching power tool or a gouge, remove the pumpkin's skin from those areas by gently scraping at the pumpkin surface. (Be careful not to puncture through the pumpkin wall -- scrape away just enough skin to reveal the light-orange rind below.)
5. Refer to the stencil to locate areas that require carving. Use a specialty pumpkin-carving knife to cut out these areas, sawing gently and slowly along the pin-hole cutting lines. (Hint: Allow cutout sections to remain in place until the entire pattern has been carved; this increases the pumpkin's surface strength and decreases the likelihood of breakage.)
6. Press on carved sections from inside the pumpkin to gently nudge pieces outward. Set a battery-operated candle on your prepared pumpkin circle cutout and place your carved Norwegian forest cat pumpkin over the top of the candle.