This stencil's strong vertical lines are well-suited for tall pumpkins, but don't worry if your pumpkin is on the broad-and-short side. Just use a photocopier to enlarge or reduce the stencil size for a custom-made fit for your gourd.
1. Log in to download our free Native American motif stencil pattern. Print out the pattern, and fasten it against the side of your pumpkin securely with tape.
2. Reproduce the pattern on the pumpkin's surface by piercing along stencil lines with a large nail or pin tool. (Tip: Be thorough! Keep pin holes about 1/8" apart for best results.) Pull off the stencil, and keep it close for reference.
3. Review the pattern to find areas surrounded by dotted lines; etch these areas using a gouge or sharp razor blade. To etch, whittle away slivers of pumpkin skin until the light-colored rind underneath is showing.
4. Find areas on the pattern surrounded by solid lines; carve those areas with a skinny serrated crafts knife. To dislodge carved pieces, nudge them gently with your fingers from inside the pumpkin, pushing them outward.
5. Add a battery-operated candle to your pumpkin's interior for illumination, if desired.