With its classic tufted ears and etched layers of shaggy fur, there's no questioning the cat breed on this striking pumpkin stencil. It's unmistakably a Maine Coon, the "gentle giant" of the cat world, whose charmingly striped face is upturned for a treat. Proclaim your love for this fabulous feline by carving it proudly on your Halloween pumpkin. Just download our free stencil to get started!
When it comes to lighting up this Maine Coon's sweet face, you have several options. We recommend using an LED light to illuminate carved pumpkins -- not only will it remain lit on even the windiest nights, but it provides all the flicker and charm of traditional candles without the smoke. If you opt for a traditional candle, remember to carve a small opening in the back of the pumpkin to allow smoke to escape and extra oxygen to enter; try carving this opening behind the pumpkin stem for less visibility.
1. Sign in to BHG.com to download the free stencil pattern. Fasten the printed Maine Coon pattern onto the exterior of a pumpkin that you've cleaned and scraped.
2. Transfer the pattern onto the pumpkin by marking along the stencil lines with a pin tool. Use the pin tool to make tightly spaced punctures along the stencil lines, piercing both the paper and the pumpkin below. Remove the pattern when all lines have been duplicated onto the pumpkin.
3. Etch sections within dotted lines with a gouge or linoleum cutter by carefully removing slivers of pumpkin skin, uncovering the light-orange layer below.
4. Cut out sections within solid lines by using a pumpkin-carving knife to saw along the pin-hole guidelines. Remove cutout pumpkin sections after carving the entire design.
5. Coat the inside and cut surfaces of the pumpkin with petroleum jelly to extend the life of your carved pumpkin. Light up the Maine Coon design using one of the illumination options described in the photo caption above.